- You got a free internet upgrade and then your bill went up (here)
- Interesting q2 investment commentary from horizon kinetics (here)
- Interview with Liberty Media founder and John Malone partner, Peter Burton (here)
- A dozen things I have learnt from John Malone (here)
- PershingSquare Holdings buys Berkshire Hathaway – Page 10 (here)
- Netflix’s content budget seems greater than it seems (here) (Worthwhile to read the entire series)
- How I spotted a fraud before it was too late (here)
This is a dated post but fun nevertheless.
It all started in April 2015 when Valeant Pharma was the toast of town.
And then Charlie said this: “Valeant is like ITT and Harold Geneen come back to life, only the guy is worse this time.”
No one really understood what Charlie meant at that point. There were some speculations but no one was sure. This was way before the entire Valeant thing unraveled. Pause a moment to think. A lot of us had access to the same information and Munger came to a radically different conclusion than the rest of the market. Bill Ackman tried to reach out to Charlie and convince him otherwise here. Charlie turned out to be correct. How many times as investors have we had a radically different opinion than the rest of the market put together and been right? Are the markets always efficient? What qualitative factor is the market not pricing in that is not evident in the numbers?
In November in 2015, he explained himself further when Valeant started to come apart. Look at the initial response from Munger.
Later, of course, Munger ended up comparing Valeant to a sewer.
Here is how Valent played out finally. They now trade as Bausch Health Companies (BHC).
Now, Charlie also said Ackman was right on Herbalife; that has not proven out yet. Independent thinking….